Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Very Special Class with My Mom and Harriet Hargrave & A Free Motion Applique Flower

Many years ago I bought a machine quilting book from Harriet Hargrave and liked the book so much that I bought the updated copy.  I've taught some machine quilting classes in the past and Harriet's books really inspired me to machine quilt.  I didn't feel so bad when the self-appointed quilting police came around to let me know that I really should be hand quilting and hand piecing.  I love hand quilting, but in my mid-twenties I had problems with my hands and machine quilting was going to be my only option if I wanted to quilt.  Harriet showed us how to make wonderful quilts by machine and they will truly be heirlooms of the future. 

Several months ago our local Bernina dealer asked Harriet to teach a machine quilting class.  I really didn't need the class, but wanted to meet Harriet in person and I always learn something new.  It's also a great time to quilt with my mom.  Be sure to click on the photos to see Harriet's machine quilting up close and personal.  I was so surprised when she invited us up close to her table of quilts and she encouraged us to feel and touch her quilts.  Thank you for a wonderful class Harriet!




 Mom has always wanted to machine quilt and she's doing a great job!
We both did our first feathered wreathes together!


We had to bring a simple applique block to class.  So I had to experiment with free motion applique.



I echo quilted around my flower and will hopefully have some pictures of the finished block in the near future.

Please check out the Connected Threadz button.  It's a great place to meet other quilters!

Happy Quilting!

Kay Lynne

5 comments:

Gra said...

I am glad you got to meet this person, she seems so talented. I will come back latter to see a close up of the pictures. I am getting a google error when I try to do it now...and there are a few pictures that I cannot see either even in the small size.

Anonymous said...

my what a fantastic class to be in,looking forward to seing future projects,well done

Fleurette said...

Your flower is pretty, wonderful quilting!

Carol said...

Kay, glad you got to try some new things and spend some quality time with mom! As always, looking forward to seeing the finished project.

I have a friend who has trouble hand-quilting (she has fibromyalgia) and is a lovely quilter. Thank you for the gift idea of Harriet Hargrave's machine quilting book for her for Christmas.

Carol (NJ)

JennaLouiseCreates said...

Looks like you have been busy:) Very nice! Just wanted to let you know the program on Wednesday night is going to be fairly short, Angie the nurse has another commitment and we also have another meeting going on. You are welcome to come, but I wanted to let you know it will be short and I didn't want you to feel you had to drive to the office. Thank you and talk to you soon:) Your flower is BEAUTIFUL!!! Hugs, Jenny