Sunday, September 26, 2010

Free Motion Quilting Posies Tutorial and Some Beautiful Quilts At Quilt Club

I've been asked to share how I did my free motion posies.




Below is a step by step picture of how I do my flowers.



The very first thing I do is to practice drawing on my drawing pad.  Then I move onto my sewing machine and practice on my practice piece.


 


Everyone needs a practice piece of quilting by their machine.  I always do a quilting warm-up before I quilt directly on my quilt.  Please don't do what I did today.  I did practice on my practice piece and failed to look at the underneath.  If I would have looked, I would of noticed that I needed a tension adjustment.  So I ended up ripping out a row of free motion quilting on my good quilt, which is not my idea of fun!



I first start off sewing a straight line with a curl on the end.  I then back track on that curl to the straight line as in the picture below.



Then I form the pedals one by one.



All my posies are always a little different.  I do try to keep the pedals about the same size and shape.  If I don't concentrate when I'm doing them, they can get out of control.  



When I finish my last pedal, I track through the flower to quilt my next straight line.



Hope my pictures and descriptions are helpful in advancing your quilting.  

A dear friend of mine invited me to an informal quilt club.  I haven't joined a quilt club for many years because I had just too many things going on in my life, but I think now is a really great time to share with others.

Therese showed us her beautiful sampler quilt.  It is called Southern Star.





Check out these border fabrics.  I just love how all the colors go together.  I'm looking forward to see how Therese finishes her border.

Below is a memory quilt that Joan shared with us.



When my grandparents pasted on, I wish I would have thought of preserving their memory through a lap quilt like this.  I am looking forward to seeing you ladies next month and thank you for sharing your quilts with us.  I will be doing another post soon on how I'm doing on the Free Motion Quilt Along.

Happy Quilting

Kay Lynne

2 comments:

Paulette said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I'm going to practice these on paper for a while and then machine. So you them vertically, top to bottom, not left to right? Interesting!

Diana said...

I found your blog through P. and there she is as the first comment!
Thanks for the great tutorial. I need to practice and practice!