Sunday, September 12, 2010

Free Motion Quilt Along

Even though I'm an experienced Free Motion Quilter, I still have a lot to learn.  I have even taught it in the past, but one thing I have learned over the years is that there's always room for improvement and we all can learn new things from each other.  When I taught quilting, I learned just as much from my students!  So I'm going to do a Free Motion Quilt Along.




I have my top all sewn together and I will keep you posted on how I'm doing.  I did add borders to my top so it doesn't look like Christina's sample on her blog.  She has many great tips and explains everything in great detail.



Don't skip cleaning and oiling your machine.  I have worked for two different sewing machine companies and you wouldn't believe the type of repairs that we have received.  I agree with Christina--keep your sewing machine oiled and lint free.  You have to take time to clean out all the lint build-up or it will eventually give you sewing machine repair bills and down time.  If you only oil your machine and not clean the lint out, it will eventually become a nice layer of packed felt inside your machine.  Also through the years some manufacturers of sewing machines have told customers that they don't have to oil their machines.  As a farm wife and quilter, I highly disagree with that statement.  Any machine whether it's a sewing machine or tractor, it needs to be oiled, greased, and serviced.  Give your machine a drop of sewing machine oil when she sounds a little dry!   Your sewing machine will thank you :)

Happy Quilting

Kay Lynne

2 comments:

Gra said...

Nice top, Kay! And thanks for the good advices.
News: My husband is working on ...you know ...the quilting frame....and it is looking good!!!!! I hope I know what to do with that once is ready!!!!!haha!!!

Irina said...

I haven't tried free motion yet...! I just started machine quilting very recently with my waking foot...but I'll be following you so I'll learn a lot!!!