Monday, July 4, 2011

Em's Quilt is Finished and Farming Adventures!


Do you remember this quilt?
 Sometimes I have a quilt project that sits in my sewing room for a time because I just don't know how to quilt it.  I had some ideas and I worked on Em's quilt this spring and never finished.  It took me a while, but it's finally done!


 I had a lot of fun the quilting for my sis.
Now it's up to Em to bind it :)


In farming sometimes we just have to wait because the crop is not quite ready.  Dean done a few rounds and it was just too green yet.


So while we are waiting on the field to ripen.  Dean's always working on the combine and I'm always checking on him and asking questions.


Check out the plastic comb by Dean's elbow.  The wires attached to the comb monitor grain loss when the combine is blowing out the straw and dirt out the back.  It doesn't make sense to grow a crop of wheat only to lose it out the back.


He is always checking belts, chains, and greasing this big machine.  We made a trip to the elevator.


I've made many trips to the elevator by myself, but it's not often we do it together.  Below is a gentleman shaking the wagon to make sure every last grain is out.


Hope everyone one is having a nice 4th of July.  We have so much to be thankful for.



Happy Quilting!

Kay Lynne

P.S.  Dean maintains the combine--when was the last time we maintained our sewing machines?  Just cleaning out the lint build-up in your bobbin case and giving it a drop of oil makes all the difference in the world!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a lovely quilt KayLynne and you have just reminded me that i havent checked my machine in a while,thats on my list for tomorrow.

Gra said...

I am one that should be cleaning her sewing machine!!! Thanks for the reminder!
The quilting looks nice, Kay!!
Enjoy the good weather and Happy 4th of July!!!!

Carol said...

I'm glad to see your crops are growing after the wet spring.

Lovely quilt, Kay!

Carol (NJ)

Sandra said...

Another lovely project to cross off your list:)

Paulette said...

I bet you've been busy on the farm this week. Nice finish! And thanks for the reminder about maintaining our machines. I do oil, but I think mine is due for some taking apart and cleaning out lint.