Monday, November 8, 2010

New Sewing Room Closet

Last weekend Dean was busy doing a fix it job and I was more or less in the way so I decided to install the rest of the laminate flooring in my sewing room closet.  I finished without any problems!  We still have about four more rows to do on the main floor.  It's a two person job so I'll have to wait until Dean and I can work on it together.  This week I worked on installing my closet organizer.  I know closet organizers aren't cheap, but Dean just doesn't have time to build one for me and it's cheaper than hiring someone to do it.
Last night I started organizing and moving my fabric in.






I found these wall racks at Menards.  They fit fat quarters just perfect!



This fabric I've accumulated over the last 25 years.  Some of it was given to me, but a lot of it I bought.  Now that my sons are grown and moved out, I hope to have more time to spend on sewing it up.



I even installed small shelves to fill in a small area so every inch of my closet will be in use.  Dean showed me how to safely run the table saw to cut the shelves.  I'd rather run a sewing machine than a saw.  I have a few more really small shelves I'll be installing and some hooks to hang quilt rulers.  I like everything to have its place so I can find it when I need it.



I've sorted my fabric by color, project, kind of fabric, and amount of fabric.  It probably wouldn't make any common sense to anyone, but me.  Anyway it's organized so I can find what I need.  If you want to use up that beautiful sales fabric, I have a suggestion that has really helped.



Fabric yardage that is one yard or more is rolled onto my 8 1/2" x 24" ruler, which is about the size of a bolt of fabric.  The ruler is slid out and I safety pin the amount of the yardage on the left side.  Please be sure to use the type of safety pin that doesn't rust.  Have the fabric stored where you can see it.  I like to see my fabric for inspiration, but also I don't want it fading on me so that is why it's in a closet.  My husband will be installing a new door so the fabric will be protected from fading.



My fat quarters are rolled onto my 6" x 24" ruler and folded in half again.  I found these cheap plastic containers at Wal-Mart to store some of my fat quarters until I find a better idea.
 Hope everyone is having a nice fall season.  Below are some cookies that I decorated about two weeks ago for the bakery that I work at.


It's really a joy to see little and big kids smile at our pumpkin faces.  Isn't that what life's all about making people smile!  I think that's why we all love to quilt!  Have a wonderful week and enjoy looking at all the beautiful quilts on Blogger's Quilt Festival.  Also thank you for all the nice comments on my Grandmother's Fan Quilt.



Happy Quilting!

Kay Lynne

4 comments:

Paulette said...

I just love your fabric storage closet. You are so organized! I really need a system, but I don't have any closet, so my fabric it all stacked on a big banquet table, except for about 1/4 of it, which actually fits into the Sterlite containers I bought for it. I need to find a better way! Thanks for the organization inspiration.

Needled Mom said...

The organization looks fabulous and I love the hint about folding it on the ruler.

What fun to work at a bakery!!! I'd gain ten pounds just walking in the door!

Sandra said...

It looks like you have really made good use of the space inside that closet!

A mom said...

I love your organization! Very inspirational!