Sunday, June 13, 2010

More on Free Motion Feathers and Other Activities

I have been practicing drawing feathers with both a pencil and needle.  It has been a real adventure. 








While practicing drawing feathers, I also used wavy rulers from Off The Edge.  I have bought several rulers from them and I keep on finding new ways to use their rulers.  They are listed in my links. 





Below are pictures of the feathers that I have actually free motioned.  I will be using them on the backs of potholders.  I used two layers of "Warm and Natural" batting.  These feathers I did not mark at all.  If you want to see how they were sewn.  Check out Leah Day's 365 Days of Free Motion quilting under my blog list.  On Day 186 she has a quilting filler called Swirling Feathers that I thought I would try.  Thank you Leah for all the tips on your video, they have really helped.




The feathers above I used an artist curve (pictured in the first feather tutorial)  ruler to draw in the stems.  My mom thinks that the stems that I drew in random look better than the ones drawn with a ruler.  What do you think?  It's actually easier to just randomly do it, but I'm experimenting with different looks.

Below are more random feathers in a different color.




Just remember to practice and don't ever give up.  My practice pieces I use on the back of potholders.  If it's not perfect, it's only a back of a potholder.  I've also been asked whether I use quilting gloves or not.  I use Lickity Grip, which was bought at the International Quilt Show several years ago.  There is nothing wrong with quilting gloves--I'm still in the process of trying to find the right gloves that work for me.  I've also used rubber finger tips that you can buy at an office supply store.  What works for me may not work for you.




I received a surprise package from Mexico in the mail.  I won a small bag from Ale Balanzarrio at

http://withblueberryheartquiltscorner.blogspot.com/

Thank you Ale for the May Give Away!




Some of our friend's kid's had gotten married over the weekend.
  Best wishes Kyle and Jordan--we love you!



Happy Quilting


Kay Lynne







1 comment:

Sandra said...

Beautiful job on those feathers! Your new machine needs a good workout...so keep quilting:)