Sunday, August 18, 2013

Free Motion Potholder & Storing Used Sewing Machine Needles




This week I am going to teach a class on making a potholder.

We are going to do a little free motion quilting.
Zentangle doodling and free motion quilting seems to go hand in hand!
What better way to experiment with doodling with my sewing machine needle than on a back of a potholder.
I used one layer Insul-Bright  for the front of my potholder and 2 layers of 100% cotton batting for the back.
They were quilted separately without a backing fabric like you would a quilt and bound with homemade bias tape with the wrong sides (batting sides) together.
This way there are three layers of batting, the top, and the back.
If I run out of Insul-Bright, I have used two layers of 100% cotton batting for the top of the potholder.
Insul-Bright cannot be doubled because there is a problem with needle breakage.
I have not had any problems FMQ without a backing fabric.
The best things about potholders are they wear out quickly and they do not have to be perfect :)
Thank you Pat for the pattern!
Pat is from Connected Threadz an online quilt club and if you are a long arm quilter,
Pat has a wonderful online shop at http://www.urbanelementz.com/



I am also teaching a mini class on sewing room organization.
Here my tip of the week:
When I change needles and the needle is still good, I put it in my old tomato pincushion.
If you click on the picture, you will see that I have all the sizes and different kinds in their designated area.  I wrote the areas with a fine tip pigma pen.
For many years I put them back into the original box, but I like this method better because the tomato reminds me that "this needle has been used".
Stay tuned for more tips as time goes on.
I am always looking for more organizational tips--please share :)


Happy Quilting!

Kay Lynne

3 comments:

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Excellent tip with your Tomato pin cushion! I still live with the fantasy that I'll make one of those machine embroidered needle holders. Fantasies can be very powerful...ROFL.

Kelly

Needled Mom said...

Potholders are such fun little projects. Your quilting looks so pretty too.

That is how I store my used needles too.

Fleurette said...

Oh I love this tip! I put mine back in the box, this is so much nicer.