Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th of July!


I hung my flags out today and I'm hoping that it won't rain, but the weather radar shows thunder storms are coming this way in a few hours.
The sun is shining and it's neat how it shines through my Ohio flag.
 

Here is a Betsy Ross flag that has seen better days.
Many years ago I rescued it from my church's basement.
They were going to have the Boy Scouts properly dispose of it, but I didn't have the heart to give it up.
It has been hung on our porch on holidays, but she's too weak to hang so she still is carefully laid on my drying rank for display.
I guess I appreciate this flag most of all because there was a lady that made this flag possible.
I can imagine her sewing the first flag by firelight this flag and the sense of accomplishment she had when it was first hung.
I can also imagine her quilting and sewing clothes by hand.
 

I hope everyone has a 
Happy 4th of July!

Happy Quilting!

Kay Lynne

2 comments:

Paulette said...

That is a cool pic of the sun through your Ohio flag. I suppose it's against the rules to re-purpose an old flag, but wouldn't it be neat if you could. Gotta love the patina on those old glories. Happy 4th!

Carol said...

Hi Kay! I've been thinking about you and your family and farm when I hear about the midwest and the storms going through. I'm very glad you've not had the damage others have had.

I love your flags hanging on your porch. I wish there were a way to preserve the Betsy Ross flag somehow.